How do I connect to a CAEN Windows computer remotely?
Connecting to CAEN's Windows Remote Desktop Service requires the use of Duo Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to log in. All that is needed is to enroll a device. Once that is complete, there are two options for connecting:
Connect Using the VMware Horizon Client
Download and install the VMware Horizon Client:
- For Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, and Android users, make sure to use the client available on the VMware website. The client available directly from VMware is much more stable and feature rich than other versions (such as the client available in the Microsoft Store).
- For Chromebook users, it is available at the Chrome Web Store.
It is suggested to follow the ITS Installing VMware Horizon Client instructions to install the client and connect. When you first start the client, you will be asked to enter a Connection Server. Otherwise, click the + New Server button in the top-left corner. You will be prompted to enter the name of a new Connection Server. Make sure to set it to caen.midesktop.it.umich.edu., and click the Connect button:
When prompted, enter your U-M uniqname as the User name, and your UMICH password in the Passcode field, then click the Login button:
You will next be presented with a numbered list of your options for obtaining your Duo code:
Enter the number of your preferred option in the Next Code field. Otherwise, if you already have a code from a previous Duo SMS message or Hardware Token, you can enter that code directly. Click the Login button to authenticate. You will then be presented with a window showing your available connection options:
Select the desired connection to access the latest version of the CAEN Lab Software Environment (CLSE):
- CAEN Labs 2019 provides access to the latest hardware and software licensed for student instructional or non-commercial research use from any location.
- CAEN Labs 2019 - 32 GB RAM provides access to virtual machines for cases where additional RAM is needed.
- CAEN Labs 2019 - Duderstadt Center provides remote access to over 200 workstations located in the Duderstadt Center library.
Connect Over the Web
To connect to the Windows Remote Desktop Service using a web browser, simply go to:
You will then be prompted to log in with your U-M uniqname and UMICH password:
After clicking the Login button, you will be presented with a numbered list of your devices/options for obtaining a Duo code:
Enter the number of your preferred option. Otherwise, if you already have a code from a previous Duo SMS message or Hardware Token, you can enter that code directly. Click the Continue button to authenticate. After authenticating with Duo, you will be presented with a window providing a few options for connecting, as described above. You will be logged onto the remote computer automatically within your web browser window, and presented with the CLSE Windows desktop.