How do I use the digital capture whiteboard with my device?
Before beginning to use the whiteboard, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Do NOT use permanent markers on the board! Please only use the dry erase markers provided.
- Be respectful. Leave the board the way you found it. As noted in the photo to the right, the eraser is the circular object at the bottom of the board.
- The board does not have palm rejection. So when writing, be sure to only place the marker tip on the board. Placing any part of your hand on the board may prevent the app from recognizing the writing.
- The board can only pick up one color and one thickness of marker at a time.
- When writing, make sure to use enough space so that the app picks up your writing legibly.
- Save snapshots of your writing often. Once it's erased from the board, you can’t go back!
- A host can use his/her phone freely while the session is in process.
Using the Whiteboard
Note: The instructions and images provided below were created using an iOS device. For assistance with using an Android device and other general help topics, refer to the SMART kapp User's Guide (PDF).
Once you have successfully connected your device to the board, you can begin writing and capturing. The green dot on the bottom-right of the screen means you’re connected. Not using the board or the app for too long will time out the session, but you can simply reconnect to continue. Everything written on the board will be displayed on the device though the SMART kapp app:
Once you are done writing on the board, there are few things you can do to manipulate, save, and share the captured image. Using your fingers on the device screen, you can pinch to zoom in, spread to zoom out, or drag along the screen to pan across the image. At the bottom of the screen, you should also see three icons:
- Left Icon: Share your captured image with others
- Middle Icon: Save your captured image, and start a new capture session
- Right Icon: View previously saved images
To begin sharing your captured image with others, tap the left icon (Note: Sharing your session will require Internet access). A text bubble will appear, similar to the one shown below:
Anyone who visits the displayed URL will also be able to view the captured image live. The URL will change for each new session.You can also tap Send Link to automatically share it with others. Tapping Options will allow you to monitor the number of current viewers, and also set a password for the session. Once you are done with your capture session, make sure to tap the Disconnect button in the upper-left corner of the screen (Simply closing the SMART Kapp app will not disconnect you from the session).