How can I integrate a Google Calendar as part of my WordPress site?
Google Calendar is a free calendar application from Google that makes it easy to keep track of life's important events all in one place.
Note: You must be an Administrator for a site in order to embed the Google Calendar code.
Embedding a Google Calendar
You can embed a Google calendar into your WordPress.com blog by using the Google calendar embed code. To generate your embed code, please follow these steps:
- In Google Calendar, click on the little arrow next to your calendar name and select the Calendar settings link.
- Click the Share this Calendar tab and make your calendar public by checking the checkboxes next to Share this calendar with others & Make this calendar public. Don't forget to press the Save button when you are done.
- Click on the Calendar Details tab and copy/paste the embed code into your blog. The embed code contains your Google account name, so be sure you're okay with making that name public.
- In your WordPress.com dashboard, go to Posts >> Add New or Pages >> Add New (or open an existing post/page in editing mode). Paste the code directly into your Text editor. (You can switch between the Visual and Text editors using the tab at the top-right of the editing box.)
- Click Save Draft, Update, or Publish depending on the status of your post or page. You will notice that the code has changed. WordPress has converted the HTML code into the working shortcode.
Here is an example of what an embedded calendar will look like.
Embedding a Google Calendar into your Sidebar
- Follow steps 1-5 above and copy the shortcode from step 5.
- Go to your Widgets page (Appearance -&&&> Widgets from your blog's Dashboard).
- Add a Text Widget to your sidebar.
- Add a title to your widget (if you want one).
- Paste the shortcode into the text widget.
- Press the Save button and go to your blog and admire your awesome new calendar.
Syncing iCal with Google Calendar
Although we don't currently offer a way to embed iCal, you may sync iCal with your Google Calendar account and have your events show up in the embedded Google Calendar.
- When adding Google Calendars to your WordPress.com blog, do NOT manually open the shortcode as you normally do with other services (i.e. do not begin typing the shortcode and then paste the calendar code). This will not work.
- To customize your calendar, click the Customize the color, size, and other options link during step 3 above.