How do I access my faculty/staff Windows Home Directory?
Faculty and staff can access ITS MiStorage is accessible in a variety of ways, such as:
- On Computers running the CAEN Lab Software Environment (CLSE), faculty and staff Windows Home Directories are available via the Faculty Desktop shortcut.
- Windows Home Directories for faculty & staff are automatically available via the network drive letter N: on the Engineering Base Desktop (EBD) for Windows.
- From any other campus Windows computer at: \\engin-storage.m.storage.umich.edu\engin-storage\uniqname
- On CLSE for Linux computers, faculty/staff Windows Home Directories can be accessed at the following path: /staffhome/uniqname
- From other Linux and Mac OS X systems, they are available via SMB at at: smb://engin-storage.m.storage.umich.edu/engin-storage/uniqname
- When using SFTP and SCP, faculty and staff should set the server name to: sftp.m.storage.umich.edu
Detailed instructions to access your CAEN Windows Home Directory remotely are provided below.
Server Message Block (SMB) and Common Internet File System (CIFS) can only be used from on-campus to mount your Windows Home Directory as a network share. Instructions for how to access using these protocols can be found on the ITS MiStorage Setup/Help website.
In Windows, you may also access your online file storage from on-campus using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path \\engin-storage.m.storage.umich.edu\engin-storage\uniqname. Instructions for mounting this path as a drive letter can also be found on the ITS MiStorage Setup/Help website.
The process for accessing your Windows Home Directory using SMB may be different, depending on the version of Linux you use (consult your operating system's help documentation). In the CAEN Lab Software Environment for Linux, select System Tools, then File Browser from the Applications menu:
When the File Browser window appears, select Connect to Server… from the File menu:
In the Connect to Server window, select Custom Location in the Service type drop-down menu, type smb://engin-storage.m.storage.umich.edu/engin-storage/uniqname in the Location (URI) box and press Enter. You will be prompted to authenticate with your UMICH password:
Enter your uniqname in the Username box, UMROOT in the Domain box, and your password in the Password box. Click the Connect button. A window will appear with a graphical interface to the files in your CAEN Windows Home Directory.
Mac OS X (SMB)
Select Connect to Server… from the Go menu. For the Server Address, type smb://engin-storage.m.storage.umich.edu/engin-storage/uniqname, and click the Connect button:
You will be prompted to authenticate with your U-M uniqname and UMICH password:
After clicking OK, your Windows Home Directory will open and will be mounted as a drive on the desktop.
You may access your online file storage using a Secure FTP (SFTP) or Secure Copy (SCP) client. Open the client and connect to sftp.m.storage.umich.edu. Browse to the engin-storage directory. For your User name use your U-M uniqname, as shown below.
After logging in with your UMICH password, you should see a view similar to what is shown below (depending on the client you use):
Go to the folder matching your uniqname to transfer files between your computer and your Windows Home Directory.