What academic software programs are available to College of Engineering students at no cost?
CAEN works with vendors to find academic software that College of Engineering students can install on their personal computers at no cost. In many cases, the software applications are only accessible to students who are enrolled in a for-credit course at the University during the current academic term.
The current list of applications and restrictions that are available to students is collected below. This page is updated as software licenses expire and/or new licenses are added:
- Abaqus Student Edition - A personal finite element analysis tool for use on coursework, and to become more proficient with Abaqus.
- Altair HyperWorks Student Edition - An integrated user environment for modeling and visualization, based on HyperWorks Desktop.
- ANSYS Student - A package for learning the fundamentals of simulation workflow, while also gaining exposure to ANSYS Workbench.
- Autodesk Education Community - A password-protected website that provides direct access to student versions of Autodesk software.
- Bentley Microstation - CAD platform used by teams of architects, engineers, contractors and GIS professionals.
- Intel Developer Zone - Allows University of Michigan students, faculty, and academic researchers access to Intel software.
- Keysight EEsof EDA - Electronic engineering software tools, including ADS, SystemVue, Genesys, and EMPro.
- LabVIEW Student Edition - A system-design platform and development environment, offering the same features as the full version of LabVIEW.
- MATLAB for Students - A software license program for a number of MathWorks products, including MATLAB.
- Microsoft Imagine (formerly DreamSpark) - Allows access to the latest Microsoft tools, operating systems, server software, documentation and technical references.
- Microsoft Office 365 - Includes Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other popular Microsoft Office applications.
- MSC Software Student Editions - Finite element simulation software applications used in industry for modeling and analysis.
- National Instruments Online Training - Self-paced, online training courses containing multimedia modules, interactive exercises.
- SIEMENS Learning Advantage - Provides access to a library of self-paced courses for Siemens PLM software products.
- SolidWorks Student Edition - Solid modeling tools for computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE).
- STAR-CCM+ Individual Licenses - Tools used for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) algorithms, including flow, heat transfer and stress.
- TotalView Parallel Debugger Program - A personal license of tools for debugging software development processes.
- VMware Academic Program (VMAP) - A software suite for running multiple instances of compatible operating systems on a single device.
Note: CAEN will not troubleshoot or support problems with software installations, errors while using the software, or development with the software on personal computers. Each student's computer is unique, and CAEN cannot support individual configurations.